Fydell House was orignally built in the 1700's for the widow Mrs Lennox Jackson but was later passed down to grandson Samuel Jackson, he put it up for sale and was bought by Joseph Fydell in 1726 who was a mercer and trader of Boston and became Mayor of the Town. He stamped his brand or trademark on the rear of the building, making it Fydell House.
Joseph's nephew Richard came into Boston and bought the house from Joseph's brother in-law and trustee John Browne in 1733.
Richard built a wide reputation in the wine trade which was sustained by his son and heir Thomas.
These two gentlemen were active in town politics and between them held the office of Mayor for six terms and were elected members of parliament for five terms.
There is a memorial in St botolph's church of Mr Richard Fydell and his wife Elizabeth Hall.
The house stayed in the ownership of the Fydell family until 1868.
It was purchased by the Boston Preservation Trust in 1934 who worked to restore it and open it to the people of Boston.
In 1945 Nottingham University became tenants and used the House as an Adult Education Centre until 2003. Upon their withdrawal a Limited Company was formed in order to keep the House open to the Public.
Rooms are let out to a variety of local and national groups and the largest room is registered for marriage ceremonies.
Fydell House Centre is a Registered charity and as such received no grants from central or local government.
Registered Charity No. 1098920. All bookings and/or donations are very welcome.